Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ysirhc
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
D800 or Olympus OM-D??
May 2, 2012

Please suspend disbelief at the crazy comparison (and while I've not found a similar thread, happy to be pointed elsewhere)... I've read a lot of D800 threads.

My Amazon D800 order just shipped (no this is not one of those posts) and I have an OM-D on order, but likely waitlisted for weeks more... I had hoped to have both in hand at the same time but it looks like the stars will not align. So now it's decision time: financially I can only keep one of my D700, D800 or the OM-D!

I've been a long time Nikon shooter - D200 (sold) and D700, with tens of thousands of shots. Mainly travel / landscape / family photography. I absolutely love my D700, the IQ, the low light capabilities (a lot of available light at ISO 1600 and 3200), and the DoF flexibility of FF. Been using primes (85 1.4D, 50 1.4D, 35 2D) and love my 16-35. For the odd exotic trip will often rent 70-200 + TC or even a 200-400.

But to be honest sometimes (many times) it seems like overkill from a capability, weight, bulk standpoint, and have found myself happily using a m43 Olympus E-PM1 with the great fast primes that are available - the whole kit of body + three primes can fit literally in your hand. Endlessly better for travel and I can avoid the burden of lugging around a giant full-frame kit. But the poor (relatively) IQ and low light keeps me from switching.

But the lenses for m43 keep improving, and options for f/0.95 lenses (albiet MF) give back some DoF control. It seems from everything I have read and looked at that the OM-D is a huge step forward in IQ, low light and useability. And the D800 in turn is probably more than I need - resolution, video, "pro features" etc.

To me it seems like the OM-D may be a happy compromise and a return to reasonable size and simplicity (I've really enjoyed using an old FM3a recently)

Would love any perspectives - I really wish I had the ability to use both in the real world - but availability will probably make that hard for months!

And I realize I am posting this in a Nikon / Dxxx forum! So maybe I am looking for some reassurance....

Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow