American Bittern (2 images)

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,585
Like?
Re: American Bittern (2 images)
In reply to Kim R, May 2, 2012

Those are nice captures Kim. Did you remove the yellow tint? The grass seems more of a natural color now. As I read on one of the replies, the histogram shows it was exposed to the right. It might have looked just slightly better if it was darker. I checked it on my monitor at home and at work; they looked slightly too bright. But nonetheless, they are nice. I also found an American Bittern near one of the wildlife preserves here a long time ago. I wasn't able to get as close, but the bird was in the open and I had the lighting at my back, so it looked pretty good. I believe I posted it here. That's the only time I've ever seen one. They must be hard to spot.

You might have enjoyed hearing about my latest adventure with bird photography. Since I'm limited to 600mm EFL with my Olympus system and 400mm EFL with my Canon system, I'm still finding creative ways to get close to the birds. That way, I won't have to use one of those bazooka lenses.

I saw some small shoreline birds on Saturday and decided to just sit down by the edge of the water (about five feet away from the water) and wait for them. Surprisingly, after enjoying the outdoors for some time, these three little birds came along, right past me. But as they saw me, they went by pretty fast. I had a fast enough shutter speed to capture them. It's kind of like fishing...sit down and wait and hope we get lucky.

I've noticed that if I'm sitting down that it's better than when we are standing up. I think we are perceived as less of a threat that way. Have you noticed that?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
KimNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow