Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
grclark888
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Nikon Plastic Lens Mounts
May 2, 2012

I know this has been discussed in the past but now that we have several years of experience with Nikon plastic mounts on some of their kit lenses I'm wondering (after mine broke) what people's experiences have been with their 18-105, 18-55, or other lenses. Are they holding up? Are they breaking under normal use? Are you keeping them or Ebaying them?

It seems Nikon is not taking ANY responsibility on these mounts breaking and claim they are only caused by 'impact damage' and that seems to mean whatever they want it to, which includes what I would call bumps, or picking up the camera by the lens, or tossing your camera bag into the car.

When I bought the 'kit' I had no idea that Nikon used plastic mounts. I wouldn't have purchased if I had known. After shooting with Canon F1s for years, one even fell onto asphalt once and kept on ticking. A friend got me switched to Nikon when I went digital and I've not been impressed with how plastic they are particularly some of their lenses that costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

I'd like to hear your experiences, particularly with Nikon responses to those that have sent their lenses in for repair after the mount has broken. I'd be embarrassed to be Nikon and see YouTube videos showing how to repair the plastic mounts on your Nikon lenses!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow