Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pete_CSCS
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971Gear list
Like?
Space Shuttle Enterprise NYC flyby
May 2, 2012

Friday morning I heard on the radio that the space shuttle Enterprise was going to be flying over New York City "any time now." So I had some free time, jumped in my car and made my way to a cliff that has a view of the city. I didn't have time to get closer. Conditions weren't ideal. I was 16 miles from the skyline, lots of atmosphere to shoot through and since it was morning, I had to shoot east towards the sun. However, intermittent clouds blocked the sun glare during most of the shoot so I had that going for me.

I had my Z612 set up on a tripod and my Olympus E-500 around my neck in case the 747 it was riding on flew overhead. Well I didn't get that lucky so all the shuttle pictures here are with the Kodak at 420mm EFL. The usually busy air space with several major airports nearby was non-existent due to the shuttle appearance.

No sooner did I setup when I saw something bigger than usual flying north over the city. It was so far away I wasn't 100% sure it was the shutle but I started shooting anyway. Once I saw it turning around well north of the city I was sure I had my subject. It made three passes (when I was there). Two flying north, one south.

A few pics in the next post.

-- hide signature --

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow