So many M43 bodies but each with one serious drawback

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022
Like?
Re: So many M43 bodies but each with one serious drawback
In reply to AlBigGuns, May 1, 2012

AlBigGuns wrote:

How much of a hindrance is it that the Panasonic bodies don't have IBIS? It worries me greatly, especially as I enjoy using old lenses and Olympus lenses.

Depends on what you're shooting. IS of any kind only helps steady the camera. It does nothing for the subject. If you're shooting relatively still subjects I think it can help a lot. The IBIS of the new E-M5 looks like a real plus to me. If you're shooting action, no IBIS will help freeze the motion.

Is the sensor in the E-PL3 essentially the same as the sensor in my E-P1 or has it been improved? As far as I can see the E-M5 is the first major improvement for Olympus since the first Pen, and likewise the G3 and GH2 for Panasonic.

Folks would probably debate the semantics. Seems like essentially the same basic sensor to me but it's also clear that Olympus has been able to get more performance out of the later generation 12mp sensors. The sensors in the G3, E-M5, and GH-2 are clearly better with respect to high iso performance.

When using a camera on the street how much does a tilt/articulating screen help you? Baring in mind I can feel quite conspicuous when using a camera, does it help you feel like you can take photos in slightly more intimidating surroundings?

I have an E620 with articulating screen. I've ordered an E-M5. It was not a feature I ever even thought about when I bought the E620, yet it was a feature that I really found useful. I find it very useful for macro photography or any shots close to the ground where I can look down at the screen without getting my nose to 6". I've also gone the other way and shot with the camera over my head. I've also taken candid photos with the camera in a position that most people don't associate with taking pictures. I think the tilt screen on the E-M5 will meet those needs. But, IMO, it's a very nice feature compared to a fixed LCD.

Does a touch screen help? I guess I like the idea of pressing a certain point on the screen and the camera focusing and taking the shot all in one go. Is this a gimmick or actually a useful option?

Don't know, haven't used one.

I've heard that Panasonic lenses don't actually work that well on Olympus bodies? I'm attracted to the 14mm and the 20mm but the 14mm seems to have bad distortion and vignetting on Olympus cameras and the 20mm seems to focus slowly.

Again, no direct experience. By reputation the 20 is not an especially fast focusing lens. Haven't read that it's any slower on Olympus cameras. Lots of folks seem to like using it on Oly bodies. I don't think Olympus bodies correct CA in Panasonic lenses.

Those are the main questions I keep asking myself at the moment. As you can see, none of the cameras seem to have an answer to all of them, but which positives outweigh the negatives?

There's not a perfect camera or perfect system. A camera that's too small and feels cramped for one person is too heavy, large, and can't be fit in the pocket for another. I read comments about lenses like the m.Zuiko 40-150 like "it's too bad it's so slow." Well, yes but it's pretty darn nice that it's so small, light, and inexpensive -- it wouldn't be if it was a constant f2.8. Ultimately you have to decide what features are critical to you and what compromises you can live with.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow