New parent need help picking interchangeable lens camera vs DSLR

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
NeilShah
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: New parent need help picking interchangeable lens camera vs DSLR
In reply to Dennis, May 1, 2012

Thanks a lot Bjorn_L and Dennis for your help and suggestions.

I have had some success with my Sony-H3 (which has the following config):

• Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar
• 10x optical zoom
• 38-380 mm
• F3.5 - F4.4

Do you think, i need to select my next camera lens which has bigger aperture to minimize impact of shaking? I understand that image stabilization or vibration reduction helps a little bit with that issue but do i need to make my decision based on aperture and speeds?

Thanks again !!!

Dennis wrote:
Bjorn_L wrote:

Bjorn_L wrote:

Dennis wrote:

On the last point, vibration reduction can be helpful when shooting at moderate shutter speeds ... indoors, there's a range of shutter speeds that are fast enough for a stationary or slow moving subject but that could still suffer from camera shake.

Yes, but those shutter speeds are mostly for stationary subjects.

Sure, that's what I said, but that includes people indoors. Not kids running around, but a baby sleeping or a kid reading or a person posing for a portrait. 1/30s or 1/60s is entirely reasonable on a portrait lens that would normally want 1/100s or faster depending on the FL.

The OP uses a tripod often

Has a tripod that is carried on vacation. Not the same thing necessarily.

That said, I switched from a Sony system with IBIS to a Nikon system without. I had to take a serious look at how I shot my fast primes, at what shutter speeds, and at what ISOs (i.e. was I shooting at an moderate ISO with room to go higher ?) I estimate that I'd miss IS in about 10% of the shots that I take with my fast primes. But opted to switch anyway.

For those times when shutter speed is too low, all common Nikon lenses other than the extra fast primes

Including the popular f/1.8 primes that are frequently recommended to all sorts of photographers, including newbies for indoor use.

Canon once wrote a white paper stating that even in a perfectly implemented stabilization (which has yet to be made) that somewhere around 200-300mm

Of course they did !

The question is ... do you benefit more from sensor based IS which gives you such great IS that you can shoot a 300mm (450mm equivalent) so slow that you risk motion blur anyway ... or one that comes close but doesn't quite match it, but offers stabilization with a modestly priced 35/1.8 that you use indoors to shoot your child ?

I'm not arguing that IBIS is better; just pointing out that for the right person, it can be.

Using DXO Marks raw sensor measurements from a Oly E-p3 and a Nikon d5100
Nikon then Oly
Color depth 23.5bits vs 20.8bits
Dynamic Range 13.5Evs vs 10.1Evs
ISO noise 1183 vs 536

A lot of numbers that don't really mean much to most people. Meanwhile, over on imaging-resource, the test of the G3 (a reasonably current m43 camera) states that:

ISO 3,200 images are quite usable at 16x20 inches, but fine detail looks a little better printed at 13x19 inches.

The OM-D-E-M5 or whatever it's called hasn't been tested yet, but early reports suggest it's the best m43 yet.

APS-C is bigger and therefore better. FF is bigger and better still. Does the "new parent" need FF ? Probably not. Does he need APS-C ? What's "good enough" ? Will he ever print bigger than 8x10 ?

M4/3, etc are small handy and very useful for those reasons. But since the OP wants indoors (meaning lower light) photos of a moving subject (a baby) I don't think that is the right way for her to go.

The OP also has hands that shake suggesting that image stabilization with the most appropriate lenses for indoor photography (fast primes) would be beneficial. He also stated that he has TWO priorities: photos and video. Putting all of that together, each alternative comes with its compromises. A DSLR is the basic choice; competent. Fast primes are not stabilized (unless you go with Sony Alpha or Pentax). Sony Alpha is a really nice choice for a budget family photographer as it offers IS with all lenses, fast AF during video and live view with a tilting LCD, which is handy for shooting little kids who like to see your face while you shoot them. Aside from the Sony (whose fast AF during video may be too fast or jerky; I don't know) other DSLRs have sluggish AF during video, and are typically outdone by the mirrorless systems. Lens-wise, the DSLR systems have the broadest array, but practically speaking, micro 4/3 is competent, and if you're looking for something like a wide-ranging zoom (handy for video) paired with a fast normal and a fast portrait prime, the 20/1.7 and 45/1.8 are hard to beat. On the APS-C side, we get too-short 50's or too-long 85's for portrait lenses. On the m43 side, I would only consider a camera with a built in viewfinder (the newest and priciest Oly and something cheaper like Panasonic G3 which lacks built in image stabilization). The viewfinder-less bodies are nice as compact second cameras.

A DSLR is still a solid choice and a Nikon D5100 or Canon Rebel or Sony A3x or A5x will definitely offer advantages over the micro 4/3 models. But it's no slam dunk IMO.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow