Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Weathered
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
Explain the 5D2 to a Nikon User
May 1, 2012

Lately, I've had the itch to look to go full frame. I'm currently using a D300, and have a collection of decent (but not quite pro) Nikon glass. I've decided that the D800 is out - too expensive out of the gate, and even worse if I want to upgrade my glass. I would certainly look at a used D700 as an option, but I am willing to explore a possible system switch if I can get some benefit out of it.

I've realized that a lot of the shots that I've loved lately come from Canon. I have a friend who does fantastic work who does a large portion of his work with a 5D2 and a few L primes. The majority of my subjects are either not moving or are able to be captivated to sit still, but I anticipate that I may do a little bit of sports with a nephew who is just getting to the "team sports" age. I do a lot of available light work, but will pull out a flash or two when needed. I actually want to get more into shooting live bands, which often means low light, high ISO, and fast glass.

I've heard previously that the 5D2 doesn't have the world's most robust AF system, which could be a struggle for me coming from the D300. How much of that is "urban legend"? I guess the more appropriate question would be - would I, as a D300 user, notice struggles with the AF?

I guess the most overwhelming benefit to me of the FF revolution is the shallower DOF and improved high ISO performance of the FF camera - that's my only real complaint with the D300. Oh how things have changed - I remember the D300 being touted as a high ISO champ when it was released.

Weathered's gear list:Weathered's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow