OM-D?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Peter Sills
Senior MemberPosts: 2,187Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D?
In reply to jj74e, May 1, 2012

I have been playing with both the OMD and the NEX-7. Here is my take.

I really wish the NEX had the focusing speed of the OMD. That is it. That is the only feature of the OMD I would really like to have. I am sure that the future NEXs will improve in this area and provide this level of speed. Olympus is to be highly commended on this one.

Cost is a wash. The OMD NEEDS the grip in order to feel usable. Without it, I can not hold the camera. I cover all of the buttons and the lugs dig right into my hand. So, $1,300 for the OMD without a lens, $1,350 for the NEX with the kit lens - basically a wash.

With the exception of a wide zoom (coming) for the NEX, the lens kits are basically there for both. Sure the OMD lenses are smaller, but side-by-side I compared the 45 1.8 from Olympus with the 24 1.8 from Sony - there really isn't a comparison. Image quality is AMAZING on the Zeiss - and it can focus MUCH more closely as well.

In the end, I made my desicsion. The Sony convinced me that I can get amazing image quality in a more portable package. So, I am buying a Leica!

You see, the Sony sold me on the fact that I can have a camera with amazing image quality at a much more compact system than my Canon gear. I currently own the E-P1. The "feel" of the images out of the OMD don't feel much different to me (if shot in good light). They still feel "digital" and "plasticy". This is not what I'm after.

If you are looking to go up from a P&S or low-end DSLR, you will love the OMD. It is an amazing camera. I think the NEX is more of a DSLR companion (for when you don't want to take the entire kit). The Leica takes me into another ball-game entirely.

Who knows, I may regret this decision. We'll give it a year and see.
--
Peter Sills
Digital Focus
http://www.digitalfocus.net
http://www.focusstudios.com

Peter Sills's gear list:Peter Sills's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9-P Fujifilm X-E1 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow