Mac guy considering a PC. Advice, please!

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,356
Like?
You did not give us much information.
In reply to TheEye, May 1, 2012

Why are you switching? I am a PC guy and would never own a mac unless someone gave me one. But that being said, why switch. It would be like telling a Nikon owner to switch to Canon when he has equipment meant for the Nikon

Usually people get PCs because the Mac is overpriced for what you get, but the Minimac is the most reasonable computers Apple makes. The MiniMac is 600 or 800 you have a choice. Are you trying to save money? Are you saying you want a PC that could be as much as 800 dollars? Should it be a PC or a laptop? Do you have a display?

Here is a 15" display 8gb ram 3rd gen I7 2.3gh plus turbo Nvidia 630 750bg drive for 899

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv6tqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv6tqe_series

or the 17 inch for $949

This all in one 22.3 inch display for 799 includes 6gb ram i5 same as the mini mac 1tb drive DVD burner.

If a tower without display is what you want 3rd Gen I7 3.4gh 1tb drive, 7570 vid card for 799.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=h8xt_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/High_performance/h8xt_series

Or you could build your own which is fun but requires a lot of research.

But if you have files for the mac, and a display, why not save yourself a lot of trouble and get a mini mac there is a steep learning curve for the PC (no matter which way you switch). If you are looking for a better value the PC is the way to go but you will have to learn.

Just IMHO

TheEye wrote:

It's either going to be a Mac-Mini (the middle model), or a PC. I don't know much about PCs. Nothing, really. If I do go for a PC, what should I consider? I mostly do photo editing, surfing, no gaming. For example, what graphics card should I get for CS5/6?

Also, will there be issues with the PC reading my backups (on external drives and DVD)? I am not sure if my now dead iMac (2006 Intel iMac) used HFS+.

Any thoughts?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow