What lenses to take for SF workshop?

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812
Like?
Re: What lenses to take for SF workshop?
In reply to Bluejay, May 1, 2012

Bluejay wrote:

wouldnt the long lenses draw too much attention though? Lsst times I visited the city, I got to see number of homeless people increase including some more aggressive on passerbys.

Once I had someone on a pier look at my long lens (70-200/2.8 or 100-400) and shout something about me being a journalist and seemed suspicious - maybe thought I was a cop. Crazy people abound. But the homeless really aren't a threat, esp for a crowd of photographers. They want change* and some are aggressive in that pursuit, but they're not going to start mugging people for lenses and then trying to sell them.

That said, I wouldn't go out alone to places I'm not familiar with late at night. But short of that, I don't think your white lenses increase your risk over just having an SLR around your neck. Given your group and where you're going...you should be fine. Just don't leave your bag unattended.

• a new scam happening along the tourist waterfront is that some guy will shout to you, "I bet I know where you got your shoes." Don't take them up on this...the reply is "on your feet." He often has a couple heavies with him to encourage you to pay up.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow