7D - Soft Focus - Repair? Sell?

Started Sep 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
Thorbard
Contributing MemberPosts: 671Gear list
Like?
Re: Lack of will power--me too, but I'm totally baffled
In reply to tvstaff, May 1, 2012

tvstaff wrote:

I have the same issues with "soft" and out of focus shots with the 7D on every setting and with prime, zoom and tele-photo lenses.

At times I can get a good shot by pumping up the shapness in post-production but this should not have to be the case.

I started looking into this issue as I stated to question my own skills and settings on the 7D. It was then that I started to 100's of posts from other Canon 7D users about the same issues.

At times the 7D does not focus at all and pictures are just a blure.

So here I am with a tripod thinking it's me with a prime lens and still soft focus even with the Canon 50mm 1.4. Then I switch to a Canon 17-55 with everything on, on a tripod and still soft focus.

For anyone to tell you that there is not a defect of some sort with the 7D they must work for Canon, been lucky enough to get a fluke or they don't even know that their 7D is defective and they keep sharpening their photos and distorting them. If Canon can't fix this I'll just sell all my lenses, take a loss on the 7D body and go back to Nikon. Best to cut and run now with only $4,000 invested then to keep building on defective Canon platform

There is no systematic problem with the 7D creating soft images. Many people are being highly successful with their 7Ds.

Personally, I am on my second 7D after the first was stolen and both have performed well with a variety of lenses. It has never refused to focus and focus speed is limited by lens, not the camera.

My images are impressively sharp, especially considering my previous cameras provided images that I was more than happy with. When I recently started using one of my photos as a desktop wallpaper on a work computer I actually found out that the images were even sharper than I thought.

There are of course, plenty of possibilities and certainly one of them is that the camera or lens is faulty. Others are calibration problems, poor processing, user error, mistaken settings and so on.

What have you tried to eliminate as a source of error in your photography to assume that the 7D is the object at fault?

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow