Bricks and Mortar

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Yup, B&H has morphed into something bigger, better and worse
In reply to NClens, May 1, 2012

NClens wrote:

The place is a zoo and has a ceiling mounted inventory rail system, which is something I would expect to see in a Amazon distribution center. This is good and bad. The good part is that they stock all kinds of stuff, and it's nice to see products in real life. The bad is that the store has a factory feel to it.

It's actually one of the most impressive systems for getting just purchased gear to the customer and baggage staff downstairs. B&H has more than one floor, so some kind of conveyer system is the best way they could implement such a system. Never really thought it looked like a factory, as the only time you actually see the conveyer system is when you go to pick up your purchase.

A salesperson tried to sell me a tiny Gitzo tripod (must have been a 1 series). I had no idea what he wanted me to do with it since I have a D4 and D700. Then again, he didn't bother asking me what I needed or what equipment I owned. He seemed like he had been beaten down into mumbling more than actually talking to customers and probably took one look at me and assumed I wanted the cheapest thing in the Gitzo section. Then again, maybe I just look poor and he didn't like me pawing at the bigger, more expensive stuff.

I've been to B&H hundreds of times, and I can honestly say that nobody ever made an effort to oversell or push anything on me. You go to a counter, tell they salesperson what you are interested, and that's it. It's always been an extremely pleasant experience for me. And living in NY, and as a gear head, going to B&H is one of the great pleasures in my life. Not sure my wife agrees, but she is impressed by the store.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow