Who uses 5N constantly without viewfinder? Possible?

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,124
Like?
Re: Who uses 5N constantly without viewfinder? Possible?
In reply to MJ Jones, May 1, 2012

It's possible. I have the NEX-5. I can tell you that if there were an EVF available for it, I'd own it by now. Outdoors, I really dislike the camera without an EVF. I have a shade for it, but it doesn't fit well, and now even less so with a screen protector on the LCD. It's always been kind of a nuisance. I find the "Sunny" LCD setting essential for using the camera in bright sunlight (just regular old sunny days, even in bright shade, no need for California sun or anything to make it hard to use). But switching the LCD brightness involves menu diving, and then if you change anything else, more menu diving to set it back to Auto. I have a Sony HX5V p&s that lets me change LCD brightness directly from the back buttons ! This was an incredibly stupid design move for a camera that depends on the LCD. You should check to see whether you can program the 5n to have the LCD brightness setting as one of the custom function settings (I know it has a lot more options than the '5' has).

Without an EVF, it's ok as a casual camera, tolerable when I want to travel light on a vacation, excellent as a video camera, but I would not want to be without an EVF if it were going to see a lot of use.

Obviously, from the replies, plenty of people think it's perfectly reasonable. I figured I'd throw out a contrary opinion before you spend your money !

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow