5D2 rather than 5D3?

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
7enderbender
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
Re: 5D2 rather than 5D3?
In reply to AF744, May 1, 2012

AF744 wrote:

Like many, I have been waiting for the EOS 5D Mark III to be release to upgrade from my current EOS 7D: I was attracted by the higher ISO 100 IQ of the EOS 5D Mark II but did not want to spend $2,500 on a three-year old camera that was going to be replaced.

Since the 5D2 and 5D3 are said to be very close in IQ at low ISOs, I am wondering whether the 5D3 is worth the significant price leap while on the other hand I am wondering whether I would not miss an AF system, metering system, shutter reactivity of the 7D.

Is there anybody who eventually went for a cheaper 5D2 since the 5D3 was announced?

I have the following lenses: 10-22, 16-35L, 24-70L, 50/1.4, 70-200 F4L IS, 135L and 300 F4L IS.

Alain

Alain,

No, I actually bought my 5DII in 2010. The Mark III seems like a great camera but to me personally doesn't really offer anything that I'd be willing to spend the extra money on (same with the 1DX by the way). So I'm not sure how relevant that is to your question but I could see adding a second 5DII body and keep my current setup going for quite a while. Along the same lines: Just picked up another 430EXII and I'm planning to add a second 580EXII as well. The new flashes seem really nice but I'm quite happy with the older models as well - so it comes down to price/benefit=value. And that is an equation that will naturally be different for each photographer and application.

But then also I'm a bit conservative with this kind of thing. Once I like something and have a workflow for it I stick with it as long as possible. Others feel the need to constantly upgrade and buy the latest and (supposedly greatest) gadget, which then leads to upgrades in other gadgets, software, computers, etc (oh, yeah, I also still shoot film...)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow