Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeffWu
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Nikon needs to FIRE employees related to D4/D800/E Release
May 1, 2012

If I am in the C-suite at Nikon, I am seriously considering firing executives charged with the release of the Nikon D4/800/E models. Beyond the fact that they seem to have NO information to share with customers related to the availability of inventory to fill backorders, which is in and of itself unforgivable for a for-profit company, they act like it's no big deal - they just underestimated demand.

Let me explain some basic economics to people - right now, Nikon is facing what's called a shortage of the quantity demanded of D4s/D800s/Es. What will soon happen is that Nikon will begin to see a shift of fundamental demand, as potential customers seek alternatives. Once fundamental demand wanes, then you're stuck carrying a lot of excess supply. You see, Apple, Inc. has it down to a science ... they create just the necessary amount of hype for their products, but they do not restrict supply so much as to cause fundamental demand for a product to shift down. Even if demand for the D4/D800/E camera bodies stays constant, there is an issue of TVM. If I was a shareholder of Nikon Corp., I am thinking that my assets are not being deployed optimally to bring in cash now!!! They (Nikon) have backorders to fill, but by no means does that mean they will be booking revenues on those backorders. As a Nikon shareholder, I would be demanding some serious answers from my corporate managers, and there would be hell to pay for the error in forecasts or whatever is happening over there in Japan. From a macroeconomic view, as a country that is solely dependent on exports, and has lost more than a decade to stagnation, this is not a good sign from a microeconomic level.

While I am a rather upset customer with a substantial investment in Nikon glass, and the inability to purchase a camera body that I "preordered" on Feb. 7th, at 9:11am EST, from B&H Photo & Video, one of the largest retailers in the US, I would be infinitely more upset if I were a shareholder of Nikon. Because the one thing that I hate more than not being able to purchase a camera body is to read bad financial statements, which could have been avoided.

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow