Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Antoine Palade
Contributing MemberPosts: 589
Like?
No D400 = bye bye Nikon?
May 1, 2012

Nikon fan here. Loved my D300/D300s but went to D7000 for better IQ and smaller form factor. I thought compromise in ergonomics would be acceptable, which it was, barely. But...

1. Buffer size in high frame rate on D7000 is a joke;

2. AF is inconsistent. I tried everything, from using C-AF with 9-points, micro-adjusting my lenses, which all back-focused, to sending the camera to Nikon for servicing. Sometimes I would get sharp images, like when I would focus on the closest eye on my model, and sometimes - the next shot and all things being equal - it would not be sharp and back-focused. Never had these issues with the D300/D300s...

This has reached the point where I am letting go of my D7000. I don't want to go FF because, having done it in the past with a D700, it's totally another ball game: new lenses, loose the crop factor with zooms, FX lenses are expensive (i.e. 24-70 f2.8), the weight is ridiculous for a non-pro like me, 36MP is too much and, finally, you become very "visible" in public with an FX camera and associated lenses. This last point is not that insignificant, in an age like today where people are suspicious, to a high degree because of terrorism, of people taking photos of things.

So with nowhere to go after my D7000 and with a D400 nowhere in sight, I have two choices: wait for that elusive D400, or switch to another brand. I am currently looking at the OM-D and X-Pro1. Not the same - better in some ways (i.e. size and weight), worse in other ways - but both probably enough of a camera for an amateur like me.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D300 Nikon D40 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Yes.New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow