Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087
Like?
Re: Hx200v and D7000, Kildeer
In reply to shuttervelocity, May 1, 2012

shuttervelocity wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

This is an excellent illustration of the fact that it is almost pointless to carry big gear in bright light.

Totally agree. but a bright light conditions can change so very quickly that its better to have an all-round performance gear. We went hiking and i took several great pictures in the light with the hx9v. but buried in the shade, there was a bluejay which I wanted a picture of and the picture came out grainy and totally overexposed.

I agree that for woodland perching birds you are sometimes better off with a larger sensor camera because a) woodlands produce deep shadows, b) you can often get close enough to the bird, (compared to shooting water birds or flying raptors) that you don't need a very long lens and so the portability disadvantage of the sensor/lens size is reduced.

If you are going out to shoot in a field (as the OP) or shoreline your choice is tripod and 4-5 pounds of camera/lens or superzoom. I think the superzoom is underrated here for its shot getting value because of big gear bias on this site. I think the OP helps to make that point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow