Purchasing FX, please help

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
andykawa
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: and you're still wrong about the beard, and the red wings already lost...
In reply to brokensocialscenester, May 1, 2012

Jim Keye wrote:

andykawa wrote:

My question is will I be satisfied with settling for a D3 for now? Obviously I'm the only one that can answer this but I'm looking for help from owners of these cameras. I'm trying to talk myself into saving some dough but I WANT the bada$$ D4, but I probably don't NEED it.

You will find the D3 an amazing camera. The moment you leave base ISO, you'll be amazed how much room there is to manipulate compared to your current cameras. In fact, as a warning, you'll never use your back-up camera again, because the thought of ISO 800 or--heaven forbid, 1600--on either one compared to the D3 will leave you cringing.

I look forward to this happening

Coming from DX, have people found the D3 to be a formidable step into the world of FX? My desires say no, go for the big guns; but my wallet says yes, do the smart thing and just step up with the D3 for now and save up/earn some money and go from there.

The importance of AF accuracy will become very clear. You're going to miss the 1.5x crop if you use the telephoto end a lot.

This is a concern of mine, however, I think it's something I should be able to deal with and perhaps make changes to my lens line up/shooting style eventually to compensate for it. I was thinking I would cross that bridge when it comes...

I want better AF, cleaner high ISO's, extra frame rate is always nice, and all of the other features these cameras offer...will the D3 satisfy these requirements enough coming from a D300?

IMO, yes (though I have a lot more experience with the D90 and 300). There simply is no comparison with the D3, let alone an 3s/4. As far as the other features compare, I would just make the general comparison that the D- series is a pro camera ready to go, with the built in grip and the 100% viewfinder, etc. You'll never doubt it. It's always ready and wanting more. The instantaneous response, mirror black-out times.... Personally I love the integrated vertical grip (not everyone does). You'll love the battery life.

The cons are going to be size/weight, and the volume of the shutter. The D3 is a loud camera. I doubt you'll notice if you're shooting motorbikes, but you'll notice when you pick the thing up in a wedding!

My 300 has a battery grip and I love it so the pro series will be seamless there. I'm used to the size/weight. Are the 3s's as loud as the 3?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow