New J1 user

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
dkojevnikov
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: there is no dedicated ISO button but
In reply to Stephen, May 1, 2012

Yes, image quality is excellent but you always have pretty strong noise in shadows even at ISO100. Good thing this noise looks like grain so not disturbing to an eye but automatic Nikon noise suppression kills a lot of details in shadows. By the way, already legendary Olympus EM-5 also has shadow noise at base ISO but it has mush finer grain (no loss of details even at ISO6400), probably due to a much weaker anti-aliasing filter. Nikon J1 grain is several times larger in size, and all the other micro 4/3 cameras has the same "thick" grain as well (I looked at RAWs from upcoming GF5).

Stephen wrote:

Yes I agree IQ is great, I guess it pointless to nag about live ISO I guess that is how Nikon works compared to others such as Fuji Canon and Oly.

Botton line is I am getting nice photos, now less talking and more shooting photos

I will try to upload some photos in time , now its time to go out as I am on holiday needless to say my J1 is coming with.

Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow