OM-D E-M5: Overkill for a Beginner or Right Fit for Me?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,409Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D E-M5: Overkill for a Beginner or Right Fit for Me?
In reply to racingvt, May 1, 2012

racingvt wrote:

MY NEEDS:

I know that OM-D E-M5's body is not super tiny and would not fit in my jeans pocket with a lens attached.

No, it was designed to appeal to people who want a more versatile and better equipped cam. However, despite lust for this OM-D, if you want a pocketable camera, the PEN series has less features (like no built in EVF) and more compact. Particularly the E-L3 and E-PM1

For that reason, I would probably be relying on a smaller pancake lens for most outings with the family or street photography. Probably either the M.Zuiko 17mm pancake or the Lumix G 20mm (btw, any recommendation for the best smallish lens for the OM-D would be appreciated as well).

If you are choosing pancakes to make the camera slim, it seems that a PL3 and PM1 makes more sense - my logic is why get a more expensive, angular OM-D when the PL3 and PM1 would be smaller.

The 17 is not a bad lens, I have the 20. It is nice for low light. But AF is slower. The Sigma 19 is f/2.8 but said to be faster AF. The Leica 25 would be bright and sharp but not pancake flat.

5. Low Light. As most people, especially those coming from P&S, it would be great if the new camera had the ability to take good pictures in low light without the need of flash.

The PL3 / PM1 should do ISO 800 without worry. The OM-D should do ISO 1600.

6. Prints. I plan to, once in a while, send off pictures for larger sized canvas printing (eg, Canvas on Demand).

Whatever camera, you want not to use high ISO for that job

MY ANALYSIS: Based on the above, and what I read about the OM-D E-M5, it seems like the OM-D E-M5 may be a great fit for me. It also works with my budget of around $1000 (give or take). However, I just want to make sure that it is not overkill for my needs. Based on my analysis, if (1) it can work well for me in Auto mode initially but also give me the ability to grow over the next few years as I learn more about photography, and (2) work well for most occasions with a decent pancake lens (at least initially), then I assume it would be a good fit for my needs.

You're ok. But not sure whether the OM-D is more expensive and ungainly in shape.

I have the PL1 - it does lovely images but AF is slowish and the 20mm makes it even slower

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow