So, how many D800 and D4 present the focus problems?

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
cdubman
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
Re: So, how many D800 and D4 present the focus problems?
In reply to lefty from Saratoga, May 1, 2012

Lefty,

Can you please elaborate on this, "I get initial focus lock using the center focus reticle and then I adjust composition letting the dynamic tracking capability of the camera keep the subject sharp. If I lose focus I simply release the AF-On button and reacquire the subject."

I use AF-ON almost exclusively as well, and use AF-C, 9 point. However, this requires me to always be manually moving my focus point to keep it laser focused where I want it (e.g. people's eyes). Are you using 3-D setting to dynamically track moving subjects? If so, can you provide more specifics?

Thanks

lefty from Saratoga wrote:

David,

I believe your analysis of the problem(s) as stated is right on. My D4 is on its way to me and my D800E is still in the backlog queue. I've been reading the various posts on the AF problem and as you point out, for most of us I don't think it will be a major issue. For myself, I always disarm the shutter release and do all of my focusing with the AF-On button. This takes a little getting used to but once you've mastered it you'll never go back. For any kind of moving subject it works extremely well. I get initial focus lock using the center focus reticle and then I adjust composition letting the dynamic tracking capability of the camera keep the subject sharp. If I lose focus I simply release the AF-On button and reacquire the subject. This works well for any moving subjects. The outer focus reticles only come into the picture when the subject moves to the edges of the frame in dynamic tracking mode, and I've usually been able to maintain focus lock so hasn't been a problem in the past with my D2X or D300 bodies. I'll see how the D4 and D800E do in this regard.

For static subjects disarming the shutter also works very well as I get a focus lock using the AF-On button and center focus reticle, then simply recompose and fire. Since the shutter doesn't refocus the image, the focus is sharp as long as the subject hasn't moved. Never really saw any advantage to using the shutter release to focus. Just my two cents worth.
--
Saratoga Lefty
http://www.bernieweinzimmerphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow