After all, the OM-D sensor is Panasonic and ..

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 31,665
Like?
Re: As a fan of this format, I hope...
In reply to danijel973, May 1, 2012

danijel973 wrote:

I thought about it some more and I think that, long term, it would be best if Olympus simply bought Kodak's sensor department. Being an important camera manufacturer without a reliable supply of sensors isn't a best place to be, and while alliance with Panasonic is a good thing, what happens if it is somehow compromised?

However, who knows in what condition Kodak's sensors department currently is. For all I know, they might be unable to produce anything competitive, and they did seem mired in their own arrogance the last ten times I looked, so this idea is just that, an idea.

Kodak doesn't have a 'sensors department' - it was already sold off. In any case, do you think either:

Olympus would be best served with geriatric CCD when the competition has state of the art CMOS.

Olympus, in its current state, has the capital to plough into R&D to make that operation remotely competitive.

Olympus can wait long enough for that operation to learn how to make a CMOS sensor and get it into production?
--
Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow