ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
v11f
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
New G3, following FZ28, in Istanbul
May 1, 2012

Hi all,
Have just arrived back from a week in Istanbul, having taken 400-odd photos.

The difference in useability compared to my FZ28 was striking:
all photos in focus
no hunting while focussing: speed more or less instantaneous

maybe 1% "throwaways" vs 30% with the FZ28 (I was quite daunted, thinking that now I have a top-level camera, if the photos are duds, there are no excuses !)

"200mm" of the 45-200 zoom seems pretty close to the long end of the FZ's range, with none of the lost photos I had before
colour-rendering seems good
stabilisation much better than the FZ28

EVF much better (and BIGGER): helps with composition, getting horizons straight etc
I can really enjoy taking photos !!!

I was using "A" 99% of the time. The times I did try the "special effects" night times (etc), it was mostly no better, or much worse ... So, for the moment, I'll stick to simple speed/aperture relations, to get good photos ...

The G3 seems to be a little marvel. It is heavier than the FZ28, but that wasn't an issue. You do have to get used to changing lenses (again) ... Nevertheless, it's small in the hand and not imposing. The controls and menus work well, though I'm still finding my way around everything.

Amongst the tourists, there were lots with Canikons, but mostly Canons, and a lot with Tamron 18-270's, but that makes for a HUGE combo: real bulk ! When you see that, you really understand that µ4/3 is a lot smaller. I'm sure there would be situations where it'd be caught-out, but I didn't find any. It even took reasonable pics at 1 sec + in the underground water-reserve....

I do understand why there is a good following for µ4/3 ! Overall conclusion: I am very happy to have a camera with which I can really "focus" on light, composition etc, without worrying about whether it will produce a good picture - it just does !

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow