Manufacturers - stop limiting video to < 30 minutes for rest of globe outside EU!

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robbster
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Manufacturers - stop limiting video to < 30 minutes for rest of globe outside EU!
May 1, 2012

To those of us who utilize and value the video capability of our cameras in addition to the still image capabilities, let me know what you think about this issue. (To those who do not care about video, we don't really need to hear from you pontificating on a capability you don't value or use, though I suspect a few of you won't be able to resist :-))

The issue : I've noticed a recent and disturbing trend among manufacturers to limit video record times in some or all modes to less than 30 minutes for models around the globe, not just those sold in the EU . Witness the Oly OMD EM5, the Panasonic FZ-150, the Sony DSC-HX30V and many others I've recently researched.

I use digital cameras both professionally and personally, for both video and stills, and OFTEN need longer record times than 30 minutes. While there are models without this limitation, many of the newer models that I am interested in potentially using are now non-starters because of this limitation.

My message back to the manufacturers is this, please allow US, the camera OWNERS, to decide how long our video should be, based on our personal NEEDS . Limit in the EU for tax reasons, fine (though I sympathize with my EU colleagues and don't wish such a limit on anyone), but to hold the whole rest of the world to the same arbitrary limit is unacceptable. Let us run the battery down and fill the card if we so choose.

Video freedom for all (or at least, for all of us who care about video :-)).

What to other video users think?
--
Create the future or live someone else's. Choose wisely!

Robbster's gear list:Robbster's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow