Focusing tips for non NEX users

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,697Gear list
Like?
Re: Focusing tips for non NEX users
In reply to dj0502, May 1, 2012

My workaround has been to switch to MF mode with the 5N and use AF lock with the 7.

Works fine for FL at 35mm or wider. And don't stand too close. Ask for two or three pics.

This also worked for MF lenses.

Avoid wide open, and let the camera handle exposure in iAuto mode, or use S (or M) mode at e.g. 1/100th. Also, you can force a higher f-stop, by e.g. -1EV compensation and changing ISO to manual in S mode.

Depending on FL, f/2.8 to f4 works fine this way, no need to go f/11.

AF works if in multi or face recognition mode, and no backlight, e.g. you are in full sun with sun in your face, but fails in center mode. But ONLY if they use half press shutter mode. Most don't. But ask, P&S shooters sometimes do this.

dj0502 wrote:

I have been using the Nex7 for quite some time and I think I have been able to overcome some of the quirks of the Nex7. My concern is when I ask some people or my friends to take a shot of me or if I want to join a group shot and ask some passerby to take a picture, they are having a hard time nailing focus.

Is there a good setting that I can use? Auto doesn't help too much. I tried stopping down to f8 or f11, and it helps a little, but sometimes I do want them to shoot wide open.

To add, my friends that are using DSLRs are dismissing the Nex7 because they can't nail focus as easy as they are used to (though we are all somewhat beginners).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow