What makes a good B&W photo???

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
CloudyBay43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?
Re: B&W vs. Color examples...
In reply to DC Alford, May 1, 2012

Dan, good question, and i have spent some time on this, or on a very similar dilema - the case for B&W over color. Now, if the question was what makes a B&W photo better than the equivalent color i would have had a different and difficult answer from the one here.

For me, being someone who love B&W, i have a few key requirements for a good B&W, here they are :

• Scene needs to be contrasty and/or with enough light sources / areas in. For example a field with cloudy skies at night, the sea at night, etc - are very poor candidates for B&W

• Central strong light(s) creating heavy shadows are very fit for B&W and somehow warranty great / better results

• Portraits and shots of groups of people, the street. In general subjects in which the color is distracting from the real image, the image within the image

• Processing / PP. I personally avoid high key type, grey-flat, grey-whites and grey-black development, with lots of details in shadows, and HDR look

My 2c
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
heartofthetwilight.blogspot.com

CloudyBay43's gear list:CloudyBay43's gear list
Pentax MX-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
labe MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow