5D3 owner rents a D800

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 985Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 owner rents a D800
In reply to Redteg94, May 1, 2012

I suppose that would be a workaround (given the 1/250s limitation of the 5D3 Auto ISO implementation), but it wouldn't be my preferred approach with the D800 (which supports up to 1/4000s). I want to be able to select a specific aperture (for best lens performance), along with a minimum shutter speed of around 1/1000s (to freeze the action), and have the camera choose the lowest possible ISO (for max IQ and DR) as I track rapidly across dark and light sections of the sky. But that's just me - to each his own! In any event, thanks for sharing your ideas. Regards. -iwbs

Redteg94 wrote:

As Jeff said, this is a situation where Tv+Auto ISO works. Set shutter speed to 1/1000 and shoot. I'm pretty sure either camera will do that pretty well

iwannabesedated wrote:

The heavily overcast sky at the air show varied from almost black (big, ugly rain clouds) to blinding white (where the sun was trying to break through). Auto ISO gave me one less thing to worry about while tracking aircraft across the lighting extremes. Regards. -iwbs

Jeff Palmucci wrote:

Yes. That is true. It is sufficient my purposes. I'm usually shooting in dark situations when I need the auto ISO to quickly manage the exposure. Could see where it would be useful in your airshow situation. On the canon I'd shoot that in tv.

iwannabesedated wrote:

I read in another thread ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=41318593 ) that the 5D3 minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO is 1/250s. Is 1/250s satisfactory for your purposes? I generally need to dial in a min shutter speed of 1/1000s or faster when I use Auto ISO with my telephoto lenses. Regards. -iwbs

Jeff Palmucci wrote:

Yeah always was jealous when I had my 5D2. Fortunately, the 5D3 implements auto ISO beautifully too. It allows you to set the acceptable auto-iso range (I have mine set at 100-12800). It also allows your to set the min shutter speed (which I pick, depending on the situation). It also allows auto iso in manual mode ( huge improvement over the 5D2). I'd say that the auto iso capabilities in both cameras are on par.

iwannabesedated wrote:

Play around a little with the Auto ISO feature. I think you'll be amazed at how beautifully it is implemented on the higher end Nikon bodies. I just shot an air show today, and Auto ISO worked like a champ to hold the ISO as low as possible (for best IQ) while also ensuring a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000s using my selected aperture.

Regards, and thanks for a very informative, balanced post. As people actually get the D800 in their hands, the negative myths begin to fall by the wayside. -iwbs

-- hide signature --

-Scott

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow