Why does the D800 choose such a high ISO with the flash on?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fearless_Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250
Like?
Re: Balancing the subject and the background
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, May 1, 2012

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

Well said, and you we're polite in your education, rather than arrogant and insulting.

The first thing the guy said was that he's doesn't have experience with lighting control; > and immediately he gets jumped by forum thugs who get angry whenever someone > doesn't know every single thing they do about every aspect of photography.

I wouldn't call being direct while still providing a helpful answer and explaining what the camera is doing "being a thug". I don't know where you live but the definition of a thug here probably wouldn't be spending their time answering questions on a camera equipment forum.

The sad thing is that these same forum thugs were once green in lighting control > themselves and could attest that good teaching comes from a book and not from a > baseball bat.

Yeah, there was a type when I didn't know much about photography, but in addition to asking questions. I read up on it and figured things out on my own, if I enabled a feature, I would want to understand it's purpose and whether or not it's useful for the given situation. I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that there's no reason to use a feature that makes a decision for you in a certain situation, if it's not the decision you want.

Also, on the subject, when I didn't know much about photography I wasn't spending $3000 on a professional camera body either, not that there's anything wrong with that if you can afford it. However I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some level of competence and basic background knowledge from a person who specifically decides that a pro level camera is the tool they need. Especially if they are then going out and taking on paid assignments with it.

No one is using a baseball bat, I don't even own a baseball bat.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow