Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LiveDeadCat
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Glad I bought the GH2
May 1, 2012

I cut my digital chops on an Oly E-500 and CS2. I bought the camera because it was cheap, yet seemed to have everything I would need as a beginning student. Later, I moved up to an Olympus E-30 with a 12-60 SWD lens. I could not imagine life being any better than that. Then, one day I heard that Olympus had announced a new, micro 4/3 camera called the OM-D E-M5. I had to check it out. Of course, in those dark days the OM-D was vaporware, not much more than pirated pictures. But while checking it out, I stumbled across reports on the Panasonic DMC-GH2, which seemed a nice enough camera, plus it had a great rep for shooting video. I had shot some digital video back in the early days of D-8, but gave it up because I didn't think it was ready for prime time. But, now...was it time to get back into it? Besides, with an adapter, I could use my cherished 12-60 lens on the GH2, or those mediocre kit lenses that came with the E-500, or even those old Nikon lenses moldering in the closet. I bought the Panny.

But, you know how buyer dissonance works: You buy the Chevy, and then worry that you should have gone for the Ford. I waited impatiently for the DP Review of the new Oly. When I saw it announced on 4/3 Rumors, I had to read it immediately. The world stopped spinning until I finished it cover-to-cover. It was worse than getting Consumer Reports in the mail.

Whew. What a relief. The new Oly is a nice camera, to be sure, but only the tiniest bit better than the one I bought. I liked that it was weatherized and that it looked a lot like my Minolta from the '60s (the Panny looks like a '96 Camry), and if you squinted your eyes just right, the pictures maybe had a bit less noise. But it didn't excel at video, which was what had tipped me in favor of the Panasonic in the first place.

My impulse was good. At last, I can sleep. The rest of you should enjoy your OM-D cameras.

Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow