OM-D: Post DPReview Review- NOW how does it compare to the X-Pro1?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rosskoss
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
OM-D: Post DPReview Review- NOW how does it compare to the X-Pro1?
May 1, 2012

Especially keeping the following quote in context:

"The E-M5 can't completely overcome the light capture disadvantage brought by its smaller sensor, compared to APS-C, but it reduces it to the point that it's irrelevant for almost all practical purposes. At which point we think its size advantage, in terms of both body and lenses, will outweigh that difference for most uses. If you're absolutely unwilling to compromise on image quality then spending twice the money and moving up to the bulk of a full-frame is the only way of gaining a significant step up from the E-M5."

Here's my conundrum. All the reviews, specs and technical analysis points to the OM-D as the perfect camera for me. However, I still can't get over how good the XP1's photos are. Put differently, I've seen good photos from the OM-D, but I've seen photos that are past great, in the fantastic category, from the XP-1. I'm currently camera-less and whatever camera I buy will be my only system.

My head points to the OM-D. My heart points to the XP-1. But ultimately, it's not my heart that takes photos, and with the huge price premium, clumsy AF and other quirks, I wonder if I'll wind up just being frustrated at the potential of an amazing imaging system (read: sensor + lens) let down by shoddy engineering.

I've started multiple threads on this very subject. I'm honestly trying to get some clarity before plunking down the change. I would especially appreciate feedback from people who've had the chance to own both cameras. THX!

Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow