D7000 + 80-200mm f/2.8 does indoor sports.

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jo Van Damme
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
D7000 + 80-200mm f/2.8 does indoor sports.
May 1, 2012

After some years of practising, first with my D80 and now with my D7000, I'm using the following settings to get shots like the one below:

Camera switched to "M" with exposure = 1/320s and f/2.8. The ISO setting depends on the conditions: from 1600 to 3200. ISO 2500 was used in the shot below.

Having a fixed aperture zoom and the fact that the illumination is constant indoors, I can finetune my settings during the warming up. I never have to worry about exposure afterwards.

Focus: I change the function of the AE/AF lock button to AF-On. Autofocus mode is on AF-C. In that way I can use my thump for focus and my index for shooting.

I used to use a single focus point in the middle (which was necessary with the D80) but with the D7000 I can let the camera decide on the focus-point: He does it at least as good as I can. Focus and reframing will produce some missers, as will the auto-mode. Selecting the focus-spot during the action could maybe be done by somebody who plays his X-box games on "Legendary" but that's not me.

Drive settings at Continuous High, as you might have expected.

Recently, I got myself the MB-D12 for additional comfort and stability while shooting with the heavy, non-stabilised lens. I found that 1/320s was fast enough to reduce the risk of motion blur to an acceptable level, even at 200mm. Would like to try it with VR one day, though.
The exposure time is also short enough the freeze all but the fastest motion.

PP of the raw images: After selection (some 3/4ths are rejected) I pick one of the best shots to fine-tune the exposure, white-balance, contrast, sharpening etc. in LightRoom. Once I'm pleased with the results, I simply copy the settings to all the other images.

Finally, I go through the selected and adjusted images to do some cropping (not on the one below) and getting the picture straight. Done.

Any other techniques you are using and I could try?

Jo Van Damme's gear list:Jo Van Damme's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +7 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow