I've added an X-Pro 1 section to my website

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,134Gear list
Like?
Stevielee..... about Leica...
In reply to stevielee, Apr 30, 2012

stevielee wrote:

One question to you about one of the statements you made concerning Leica's approach thus far in the increasingly competitive and popular compact camera arena: "In my opinion the X-Pro1 is the kind of camera Leica should have been working on. All I can say is that I'm glad Fuji had the vision to see what Leica did not or would not consider producing." -- In your opinion, why do you think it is that Leica Solm's is so resistant at producing a camera that approximates a camera like the X-Pro 1 - at any price-point, let alone Fujifilm's current one? Is is just about the cost, or is their some other reason for Leica's refusal to address what FijiFilm so obviously understood and quite enthusiastically sailed into with all engines running at full steam ahead???

Leica will produce no camera that might impact the sales of their M system. They are good at what they do and that is produce great optics/lenses but they are slow to embrace change of any kind, especially when it comes to the M system.

If they were to produce a digital body that accepted the M lenses at half the price of the current M bodies (M8, M9, M10) I am sure it would hurt the sales of the M.. and at $7,000 a pop.. that would hurt their bottom line.

Leica glass is the best in the world.. it's a shame they can't produce an entry level camera that will accept the M lenses.

Leica is not a company known for much in the way of innovation. I just think they are comfortable being who and what they are. There are enough people willing to shell out the $7K for a body and another six or seven thousand for a lens or two.

I have been a fan and critic of Leica since the release of the M8. I owned one and realized that in these digital times what I wanted was the form factor of the M but with AF... Fuji has produced exactly what I wanted at a price far below anything Leica might offer... I'm happy.... and you know what.. you can mount M glass on the Fuji if you wish.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow