Leica M8, what to look after in a used one??

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
starwolfy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica M8, what to look after in a used one??
In reply to villagranvicent, Apr 30, 2012

I don't think a "low actuations count" is something important and let me explain why:

Leica M8 is more than 5 years old. If you get a camera with let's say....4000-5000 pictures...the camera is almost new. I mean that 5000 actuations is pretty low for a camera that old and in 5 years it doesn't show much use.

We all know that problems often appear at the begining. Even despite the body may be 5 years old...it could be considered young regarding its mechanics and could possiblity be more concerned by "early" mechanical problems (for example...on FujiX100 problems with sticky aperture usually appear around 3500-5000 shutter actuations.)

This might be important to consider, at least I did for my M8, as your camera won't have any warranty...

This is my opinion but I prefer a good M8, cosmetically in good condition, with around 8000 -10 000 actuations (mine had 15 000) which never had any problem and worked great since the start than a really low actuations body which was not much used and could so possibly meet early problems.

I don't know if this makes sense to you but it did to me.

You know...It's like some old cars, proven reliable with time...that could be much more reliable than some brand new cars which may meet early-use problems.

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow