Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hayslip
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?
Vote for my next lens purchase!
Apr 30, 2012

I'm a bit unsure about my next lens purchase (sometime late spring to early summer). Should I go wide, long, fast or macro?? So I thought I'd put the lenses I'm thinking about up for a vote. Here's what I'm thinking about:

Sigma 8-16 - I don't have anything wider than 16mm that's rectilinear. But I don't shoot architecture very often. The DA 10-17 gets me by when I want/need ultrawide.

Pentax 15 - My typical carry around kit is just a K5 and 21. Sometimes I throw in the 70 for a two lens set. Not sure I'd get much use out the 15 though...

Pentax 31 - A legend. I have nothing AF faster than 2.8. So maybe it's time to go fast and normal??

Sigma 85 - A different legend's replacement? I have to admit, a couple times a year I rent a Canon xxD series and Canon 85 1.2 II. And it's a wonderful combo. I've even thought of buying a Canon body just so I could use this lens... Is the Sigma good enough?

Pentax 100 WR Macro - I have no true 1:1 macro in my lineup. I rely on reversing rings, extension tubes, Raynox adapters and cropping when I want to go closer than 1:3...

Pentax DA* 300 - My longest good glass is 200mm. If I had my wish the Sigma 120-300 2.8 would be released in Pentax mount already. Although my wallet and back wouldn't like the price or weight. I shoot a lot indoors where I need reach and light. And I get stuck in places where I can't move around much...

Any other choices I'm missing? I'll add my gear list to the bottom. For the forseeable future, I'm set on lights, bags, tripods, vacations, cars, house and suprises for my wife and children...

Please reply with your vote. Add a pic and an explanation if you'd like. Have a great day!

Main gear used for kids in motion (inside and outside), sports (inside and outside), pets, outdoor portraits (individual and small group), indoor drama, environmental portraits (individual and small group), event candids and group shots, some landscape, some macro... Photography is not my current profession. Photography is just something that helps document the lives of my family members, enriches the lives of my friends, gives me something that takes my mind off of work and keeps me out of trouble...

K5 and K20D
DA*16-50 2.8
DA*50-135 2.8
DA10-17 FE
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Tamron 70-200 2.8
DA Ltd 21
DA Ltd 40
DA Ltd 70

Peace - Roger Hayslip

Pentax K20D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow