Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,940Gear list
Like?
Color correction on the ZS15
Apr 30, 2012

This probably applies to the ZS20 as well.

Anyhow, my ZS15 seems to over-emphasize greens and yellow-greens and does so with most of the WB settings, even Custom WB. In other respects, I really like the camera. Other than WB adjustments (except on AWB) there are no color adjustments. And your color mode choices are Standard, Viviid, B&W, and Sepia.

So I decided to try creating a color filter in one of my editors. I dug out my MacBeth Color Checker and took a Custom WB shot of it, and along with some outdoor shots that have fluorescent green grass and leaves, I worked up a filter. Even with the Custom WB, the shot of the Color Checker showed too much green in the neutrals along the bottom edge.

The filter is quite successful. I had compared the results from the ZS15 against a Canon SX230HS and comparing the out of camera results to the actual scene, the Canon's greens were a little too toned down, and the ZS15's over-the-top. The filter gets the greens closer to reality and neutral colors lose the greenish cast they had. The alternative is to go back to the Canon which is a little closer to reality and not so jarring SOOC. Plus, the Canon has internal controls for sharpening, contrast, saturation, and color.

Of course, this means running all my ZS15 shots through the filter and then saving the filtered images with an F suffix.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 (Lumix DMC-TZ6)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow