Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 or MF Biogon? (on NEx5n)

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dsmtl
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Sony Zeiss 24mm 1.8 or MF Biogon? (on NEx5n)
Apr 30, 2012

Hi all. First post. Happy to be here.

Trying to make a decision in the next few days on a lens for my new nex5n. Heading to SE Asia for a while and have decided to leave the Canon DSLR at home. Looking for a useful, compact lens that's a good investment and solid walk-around performer. I've narrowed my choices down to something in the 25-35mm range, and have a Leica m-mount adapter on the way.

Would anyone be interested in chiming in on the difference between a Zeiss rangefinder (Biogon 25 2.8, 35 2, or Biogon C 35 2.8) or the E-mount Zeiss 24 1.8? Prices are all very similar.

The quality of image samples from the Biogons I've found are just stunning, and they're compact and ergonomically great (handled them in store). The downfall for me is their long MFD and slightly smaller apertures (not a huge deal).

The Sony Zeiss has the advantage of AF and wide aperture, though it isn't as compact, and I've had trouble finding the same evidence of evocative character from its shots (though it's possible there's not a lot out there yet/I'm just not bumping into them).

Would I find the ZM line superior, if I could live with the MFD and manual focus, or am I being swayed by the form and romance of these lovely little lenses, when the Sony Zeiss might be just as good, if not more versatile. I'm looking for a little magic. Thanks in advance!

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow