Steve Huff is a great guy

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,939Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve Huff is a great guy
In reply to El Matadurr, Apr 30, 2012

It is a great article, and a great effort. Well done.

Makes me wonder though, what is the effective focal length, after crop, of most of your shots?

And, is the Nex-7 best because of its high Mp, sensor and EVF, or could a higher crop ratio camera such as MFT, J1/V1 or even a superzoom achieve the same quality results? Or even handheld results?

Otoh, I also have done (indoor) sports with handheld lenses (did not need long zoom), and as you noticed and described well, perfect focus can be achieved, but not always when you want it.

I liked the OM-100/2.8 the most, more than the OM-135/2.8.

Found out that I ended up shooting shorter focal lengths at f/2.8 as well, to get the extra DOF, even though the lenses could open wider.

A friend wanted a picture of his car while moving - that is car in focus and background blurred. They used a dSLR, and ended up with manual focus. He says it took them thirty tries of driving two cars side by side on the same stretch of road (for lighting and colors/background).  Results is amazing, poster hangs in his living room now.

Auto Focus was useless, and both cars had to match speed closely.

I think that a Nex would have nailed such a manual focus shot in a lot less tries

El Matadurr wrote:

He decided to publish my article.

You all might enjoy it (NEX-7 featured).

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/04/30/sports-photography-with-the-nex-7-an-exciting-humbling-frustrating-mind-blowing-experience-by-matthew-durr/

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow