American Bittern (2 images)

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim R
Forum ProPosts: 17,884
Like?
Thanks Judy
In reply to jennyi, Apr 30, 2012

I think you will see one again some day if you keep trying. Take your time when you are around those marshes and use the field glasses a lot too.

On the day I took the images of this one and later in the day I returned to the same spot to try to see it again. After about 20 minutes there and a few "calls" to encourage him there was no sign by ear or eye one was around. I started to leave and actually started the vehicle when I looked down the bank of the canal there in plain sight was a female American Bittern about 30 yards distance. I was amazed that I could look so carefully for some time and then the bird would appear in the open and with only low cover near by.

I remained in place and took many image of her too a she was hunting frogs along that bank.
--

KimR

'The very fact that I find myself in agreement with you other minds perturbs me, so that I hunt for points of divergence, feeling the urgent need to make it clear that at least I reached the same conclusions by a different route.'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
KimNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow