JPEG Optimization for NX200 & newer NX cameras

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
paulhome
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
Re: JPEG Optimization for NX200 & newer NX cameras
In reply to snake_b, Apr 30, 2012

personally i find that test is often taken too literally.( Fine detail in contrast between dark and light edges )

If you see noise then you can say that could be better, as you can see loss. But is that area actually smudged or are we seeing a more natural image ?.

One thing most people do in Lightroom is to add a bit of clarity because it gives instant detail. This could easily be done to the raw file here with instant improvement ... or is it an improvement ?.

The question then might be how does the eye actually see it ?. but you would have to move closer to view the detail in a crop, so we are already moving away from the true image. But i might guess that in strong light those lines are faint, more like they are represented by the Samsung image.

I wouldnt say Samsung is better or others are better as adjustment could quickly make either look like the other.

All im saying is be careful when looking at edge sharpness. as its easy to mix sharpness up with contrast, as in software "sharpness" vs actual image sharpness.

Does any of that make sense ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow