Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
D800 - Left AF issue - Update - Part II
Apr 30, 2012

Just to share some more of my experience in dealing with this issue.

You can read the previous thread here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=41325311

As I said yesterday, I took my D800 back to Nikon, plus images Left AF Field vs Right AF Field, Left AF vs Live View.

Wasn´t easy to get to see the technician but few minutes later he showed up and we had a chat.

At least here in Bangkok, despite the ability to fine tune every single focus sensor, they still use the traditional method of using a flat chart and only the centre focus point in order to have things calibrated!

IMHO using only the focus centre point is a bit pointless to fix or detect the AF issue as I can't see anything wrong when I take pictures using the centre point.

The technician showed me 4 pics of the calibration process. Even using the centre focus AF point my camera was too soft in the upper left corner. Then he adjusted the outer left AF sensors using live view as a method of comparison. Not the most scientific and precise approach but I will be happy if I can't see the issue any more.

As my worst problem was the24-70 @ 50mm he used a 50mm lens to help calibrate the camera.

The whole calibration thing took two hours and half.

I came home and went to my balcony running some test shots. I notice the left AF and Right AF behaving similarly, did some fine tuning and things seemed to be much better. How better? I'll have to wait for real world testing to really know.
--
Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow