Sony Nex-5N with other lenses?

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,409Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Nex-5N with other lenses?
In reply to Kev4101, Apr 30, 2012

Kev4101 wrote:

Thanks for lesson re: bigger sensor = bigger lens...but I'm not too put off by a pack of cig's with a bazooka (probably be still easier to get around than some of the DSLR weapons that are around)

Nah, mate. Let's not talk in words only. You gotta find a way to hold the cam with battery powered on, with the lenses. That NEX cam is a SMALL cam. Not much gripping surface. Any zoom lens, particularly a 10x or 12x lens is huge. If the lens is any good, it will be solidly built, full of glass and build quality. I don't have big hands. If I want to hold and shoot a sizeable lens, I would rather have a big body so that I can hold the combo comfortably. The right hand is gripping the shutter button and the dials when shooting, pointing the comobo and holding the camera when carrying. The left hand is holding the lens when shooting and doing nothing when carrying.

For me, I have a strong distaste to using any of these small bodies with a medium sized zoom. I own both a small DSLR (Oly E-620) and an even smaller mirrorless (PEN EP-L1)

I'm not sure if this is answerable but it'd like to throw it out there for those who may know: the Nex-5N is 16MP & my old S5 is 8MP with x12 zoom. In good lighting, could I take a picture with the Nex-5N using the SEL55210's x3.8 max zoom & crop out a section of it that would be equivalent in quality (if not better) than that bit of picture taken by the S5 at x12 zoom?

Don't like that as the main approach to taking photos. The newer cam will have more pixels but unless you buy the bestest most expensive lens, the cropped image of a shorter tele (please don't use the word or concept zoom, that is not useful for this discussion), will be limited by the lens resolution and sharpness.

sjgcit, trekkeruss & sterretje

I realise my reluctance to change lenses does somewhat defeat the purpose of an Interchangeable Lens Camera but I'm reflecting on the fact that I tend to remember my trips by photos so I do like to be able to snap anything and everything quickly. So if I happen to have the telephoto lens on and someone does something rather memorable (but temporary) next to me - lost shot since I can't change lens that quick.

If you change lens every 10 minutes, you lose. Don't change lens.

If your lens is cumbersome and takes too long get to shooting position and AF (the NEX I hear is not the fastest AF machine), you lose.

Incidentally, have you thought of a PEN E-PM1 with a 14-140mm lens. That combo should be smaller, lighter, less cumbersome and faster in AF (I think).

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow