Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ppotka
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Re: Question to you
In reply to Iliah Borg, Apr 30, 2012

I answered your question here, at the end:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41365923

Your remark (leaving attitude as is) is still important because the internet and this user forum also is full of tests and "tests". Mine belong of course somewhere there. The problem with these tests is too often that it is not measuring what it is said to do. And it really is tiresome for the reader to find what actually is happenening.

Regarding DR there is also this general problem of lacking universal definition. So, I have mine, which rises from what I see as usefull in real life images using equipment and software I use. Can it be stated through absolute numbers? Sorry, no. Later maybe a small step in that direction.

My site will never be like DPR. I do not test cameras for the sake of testing cameras (as business). I have different intentions: I know from experience how my E-P3 behaves at various ISOs in real life situations. After my test I know how E-M5 images will look like in samilar situations, without otherwise necessary series of "mistakes". This is why I accept the pain of being thorough: I do not want to fool myself. This is what I urge also other people to do, test how your equipment works. It helps you to be a lot better at real life situations.

In my blog I stated also this: " ... please do not take exact numbers too seriously. Look at trends E-M5 versus E-P3..." I know statements like this are futile because so many people think in terms of absolutes. This can be seen in two ways: One group referates me as saying that E-M5 dynamic range is 12.6 EV. Period. And another group sees my test as absolutely wrong because there is a problem. Period. There always is a problem, like you have noticed also in DPR and DxO Mark measurememts. There always is a problem. Black and white thinking is not what photography is about, at least not for me. Cameras and images can not be described through numbers, however convenient that would be. You just have to live with the problem.
-p-
--
pekkapotka.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
THXNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow