5N + Sigma 30mm = terrific social camera.

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,926Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 30mm or Sony 16mm?
In reply to DtEW, Apr 30, 2012

DtEW wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

juliusCaesar: The SEL16F28 does not have OSS. I sometimes keep that in my pocket (since it's so tiny) in addition to the Sigma 30mm in a minimalist kit-out... but I intend on replacing that configuration with the Sigma 19mm.

It needs to be noted that I actually really like that lens + UWA + fisheye adapter, and it will stay in my camera bag. It's literally indispensable for my tri-podded Urbex stuff. That said, I think it is less-than-ideal as a social lens because of its qualities wide open, which is where you're going to be at shooting hand-held in dark restaurants and bars. The SEL16F28 does not begin to shine until f/5.6, and ideally at f/8.

I've gotten some fine photos at f2.8. Rarely are you going to put your subjects right into the corners anyway, but for some reason, the corners just don't look bad in many of the indoor, closer-focusing situations. But, yeah, if you need corner sharpness, don't get this lens.

My objection to the 16mm is that it's probably not the best "general purpose" lens, and certainly doesn't flatter if you take portraits with it! But that's not the len's fault.

Here's to hoping Sony can make a 24mm pancake lens.
--
Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow