Is nobody using a WB model?

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cyril Catt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,733
Like?
Re: Is nobody using a WB model?
In reply to snake_b, Apr 30, 2012

snake_b, you echo my concerns, thank you for your comments. Things have moved on in the 5 years since my current ‘long zoom’ camera - a Canon TX1 - was made. Compared with current models, its lens is neither as wide nor as fast, nor its zoom as long; it lacks HD capabilities, and its screen size and resolution is small. But for my needs, its 7MP is adequate; its swivel screen is at times an advantage; its 390 mm optical zoom reach and IS does give reasonable handheld results (which can be boosted to acceptable 3MP files at 585 mm with ‘digital tele-converter’); and its super-macro focus right up to the lens can serve as a low power recording microscope!

As I almost invariably display my photos on screens, and rarely print any - never larger than A4 - I see little need for more pixels. Currently my approach with wider and dimly lit subjects is to use a 24mm F2.0 Panasonic LX3, usually with its optional 18 mm F2.0 conversion lens. But it would be handy to have a wider, faster and longer lens in a single camera, and as you point out, there are now several alternatives almost as small as the TX1, all with a plethora of implied advantages.

As I am only a long-term amateur with limited needs, I gave up using SLRs and darkrooms over a decade ago, for the convenience of digicams. Then found ‘bridge’ cameras too bulky, and settled on using a pair of complementary small cameras to provide a wider range of capabilities when travelling, as well as backup in case of breakdown, with less bulk, weight, and cost.

As well as the Panasonic ZS15/TZ25’s 12.1 MP vs the ZS20/TZ30’s 14.1 MP, the latter only has 18 MB of internal memory, vs 70 MB in the former, which might imply an ability for more in-camera computation.

Finally, on your comment about long zooms without a tripod, I was surprised to see a review of Nikon’s P510 in DPR claiming that its IS allows handheld shots at full 1000mm zoom. That would be amazing with a 16MP 1/2.3” sensor.
--
Cyril

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow