American Bittern (2 images)

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim R
Forum ProPosts: 17,884
Like?
Lois Ann
In reply to Lois Ann, Apr 30, 2012

These were at RNWR on the 21st.

He was along the canal on the right just after you make the first corner on the 4 mile loop. I was there early.

In the second image he was thumping like a Sage Grouse does during mating. What a cool and strange sound.

I took quite a few image of him before he hunkered down and out of sight. Then I drove the loop and returned to the same location and tried calling him with no success on getting him but a female appeared and started hunting along the canal and I images her doing that. I had an appointment in Portland at 10:00 and was not wanting to leave. However about 9:30 I needed to leave but turned on the AB call on my i-touch and two males flew in nearby and almost immediately. I think I had them and could have got images by working them a bit more but had no time, had to go and could not stay for the show but they were competing for the girl.

Ran back out there Sunday morning and the ABs were on the other (left) side of the road but further out... I had not much time and drove the loop and headed back Hayden Island to start the trip home as it is a long ways and we needed to be to work Monday.
--

KimR

'The very fact that I find myself in agreement with you other minds perturbs me, so that I hunt for points of divergence, feeling the urgent need to make it clear that at least I reached the same conclusions by a different route.'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
KimNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow