New parent need help picking interchangeable lens camera vs DSLR

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,685Gear list
Like?
Re: New parent need help picking interchangeable lens camera vs DSLR
In reply to NeilShah, Apr 30, 2012

I've used a Canon 50mm 1.4 with babies and small kids and the focal length is just about perfect, plus you can use whichever light is available; most brands have a "fast" 50mm (which is giving you an equivalent full frame / film camera 80mm).

Most new cameras are really good, it's better to choose the focal lengths you like most and then see which brands offer the best lenses that cover those according to your budget; in my case the Canon 50mm 1.4 opened my eyes but the 70-200 f4 offers great quality at a very useful range. Pentax offers great primes and if it had been available when I first purchased my setup starting with a 35mm 1.8 like Nikon's would have been very appealing.

If you lug around a tripod then you won't be complaining about carrying a DSLR and a couple of lenses - so you already have an advantage!

Your hands cannot possibly shake more than mine and my photos come out fine - you just need to use a faster shutter and compensate, that's all...

Good luck!

• I have an infant and planning to use my new camera for photos and videos mainly inside our house for my little princess.

• I am also planning to take photography class and get into next level of photography

• I love traveling and I usually take my tripod and Sony dsc3 with me all the time.

• my hand shakes a bit whenever I take photos and am looking for appropriate camera which will nullify it.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow