Like?
D40 Upgrade
Apr 30, 2012

My current setup:

D40 body
NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G
Nikon 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

I've had the D40 for 3 years and enjoyed using it. I particularly love the 35mm prime and use the 18-55 VR a lot. The 55-200mm only gets used 10% of the time at most.

I am looking to upgrade the body and perhaps change around my lenses as well.

I am looking for a few things in a new body:

1. Better/bigger sensor
2. More pixels

3. Keep the weight/size small, my current D40 is great, would not want to go much bigger

4. Better controls if possible. I sometimes find myself tinkering with too many things to change the aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation etc. in manual mode and also when trying to use the timer.

I'm open to buying used/refurbished and don't have to get the latest and greatest although I know the 3200 just came out.

For lenses, I'd like to get a faster lens to replace my 18-55 and perhaps even get something longer - this way I can replace the 18-55 and 55-200 with one lens - less lenses to carry around as most of my photography is when I'm traveling and I travel very light.

I have looked into the new breed of mirror-less cameras (Samsung NX, Sony NEX, Nikon 1, Olympus PEN, Leica M9) and really like the fact that I can get great IQ in such a small size, but I'm worried they won't perform will in low light and may not have the best primes.

Please recommend a body and lens(es).

Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow