ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zigadiboom
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Sigma 17-70mm vs Tamron 17-50mm for my new Kr
Apr 30, 2012

Hi All,

I just sold my 1 year Canon G12 and bought a brand new Pentax Kr with 18-55mm for pretty much the same money. I hope it proves to be a positive trade off. Its interesting in that when I mention to people that I bought a Pentax I get the look as if I have bought a 3rd grade product. Noone wants to know about it. Anyway the way I see it is that it seems to offer very good value for the money for what it says it can do.

I currently own the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 dc Macro. This is the non HSM OS model. It takes good photos but I was wondering whether I would be better off with the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8(non VC) instead considering that most of the photos that I take are of people indoors. Other questions that I have regarding the two lenses are:

• How is the sharpness of the Tamron at f2.8. Are the results good or does it have to be stopped down to get considerably better results. If it has to be stopped down then does it offer any real advantage over the Sigma when shooting indoors/ low light?

• Generally speaking which is the sharper of the two lenses?

• I am aware that the Tamron is a bit noisier when focusing but which of the two actually has the faster autofocus.

• Is the macro capabailities of the Sigma that much better than the Tamron?

• How about the build quality and reliability of the two lenses.

Lastly what is a good value third party flash with adjustable head that is compatible with the Kr. I'm looking at Metz 36 AF-5 or Metz 44 AF-1. I welcome any suggestions. Pentax branded flashes are a bit over my budget at this stage.

Thanks,

Zigadiboom's gear list:Zigadiboom's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V1
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow