Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
Re: Voigtlander 25mm f0.95.
In reply to coffeebean, Apr 29, 2012

coffeebean wrote:

Jonas B wrote:

The biggest problem though was the poor performance edge to edge at long distances. The lens performs very well at short distances, in fact it seems optimized for shooting a lens reviewer's resolution target. Trying to capture a street scene, or a building, using any aperture, critically sharp edge to edge is not possible.

Jonas

At distances beyond 3 meters, the nokton no longer maintains a flat field. At infinity, it stays infinity for around 90% of the frame, but drops precipitously to around 5 meters approaching the extreme corners. The only way to edge-to-edge is to stop down until there is sufficient DOF to get everything from 5 meters out to infinity, which means stopping down past F8. In this regard, the new 17.5 seems to do much better.

Maybe it is 5 meters, or even somewhat less than so? When focusing, critically, at something in the center of the image it's not possible to get the edges sharp at the same time. You have to focus "deeper" to get everything inside of the DOF limits and then you have lost some of the very good center resolution.

In any case, all that was too fiddly for me as I often don't have the time for that sort of delicate focusing.

I hope you are right believing the 17,5mm is better as that's an interesting focal length for many.

Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow