Nikon D3200...really really good sensor (not Sony)?

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D3200...really really good sensor (not Sony)?
In reply to Lucas_, Apr 29, 2012

I guess I shouldn't be comparing gear so much either. It's really a waste of time (although it is interesting).

One of my original points was that the D3200 might not use the same sensor as the a77, although I could certainly be wrong. I agree that noise performance on all DSLRs today is pretty irrelevant, because they're all good enough for pretty much everything.

However, the point about color is really interesting. I've always heard that Sony has better color rendition, although I have trouble seeing the difference between shots from Nikon, Canon, and Sony cameras. It seems to be true for Sony JPGs - I prefer Sony's JPG colors over what I've seen from Canon, but I'm not so sure that this applies to raw data as well.

I don't usually do this, but having an A77, I was really curious to see how the Nikon D3200 would handle the same sensor. What I saw by analysing DPReview's studio tests ( and others see to have arrived to similar conclusions ), is that at ISO3200 the Nikon 3200 shows slightly better noise control than the A65 (or A77), although not as good as the NEX-7. That's pretty much what I expected. At ISO1600 and below, they're equivalent for noise and the Sony cameras show ( also expected ) a bit better overall IQ due mostly to superior color rendition - of course to my taste...!

Agreed - above ISO 3200, noise really starts to eat away fine detail on pretty much every camera I've tried.

Above ISO3200 they're all very degraded for any comparison to make sense.

Yeah....Nikon cut a lot of features, which explains how they are able to offer a 24 mp sensor at such a low price. I probably won't be buying that model - the lack of an in body motor is a real turn off, since I like to save money by buying used glass.

In the end, no big surprises. IMO the low cost of the Nikon body is somewhat justified by it's lack of many features common to the Sonys.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
hahaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow